Thursday, April 19, 2007

When Jack Met Emma..!! (Or Angels Don't Lie): Part - IV

"Hey Jack! I'm sorry I had to rush, but you know how irritable kids can be when they wake up from sleep at mid-night!"
"Oh My God! I didn't realise it was mid-night! I'm sorry. Really am!"
"Oh, don't be ridiculous Jack! You know a call from you is always welcome. And I wasn't sleeping anyway"
"And what was it that you were doing?"
"Well, I was trying to pour some ideas into this cauldron that should eventually help me design this 'shopping complex', but apparently the pot isn't hot yet - lack of hot ideas!"
"Hot ideas, eh?"
"Oh, shut-up Jack! You have a one-track mind!"
"Well, I'm just glad you think I have a mind! The girl who left me 5 years ago thought I had none."
"It's ok J. We know who's loss that was."
"Yeah, I think I know better than you!"
"No Jack, really! I mean it. She must have been short-sighted!"
"You don't have to be nice to me just because you're my friend. You might as well be frank!"
"No, I'd rather be Emma McDonnell than be Frank McDonnell. Frank was the name of the guy I was betrothed to a month ago!"
"What? You never told me that?"
"Yeah, its something I try to forget."
"Why? What happened? You thought he was frivolous and bland?"
"It was the other way round J. He asked me if I was a virgin. I couldn't just lie to him - so I told him the truth"
"Yeah? And what did he have to say?"
"And you know what they say about being honest? They drum in this vagary that Honesty Is The Best Policy and all that crap! But I've learnt honesty just screws things up for you."
"Yeah, I know! There was this teacher in my school. Everyday at school she'd say - "Everyone who hasn't done their homeworks - please stand up!" And no one would stand. Then she'd keep yapping about the whole honesty and the best policy line over and over again and she'd eventually 'convince' the guys to stand up. Then she'd beat them up like crazy!"
"It's a pity, Jackie. It is such a pity!"
"Anyway, Em.... your story, please?"
"Are you sure you wanna know?"
"If you intend to tell me, why not!"
"So he asked me how did that losing my virginity come about and I had to tell him I'd been sexually abused once when I was a teen."
"Huh? I don't know what to say!"
"Its ok J, you don't have to say much. He said enough already." She stifled a sob.
"M? Are you all right?"
"Hmmm.." Her voice was now a lot heavier than it had been when he heard her first.
"I'm sorry I brought this up. I didn't know you'd feel badly about it"
"It's ok. Am all right now!" She wiped her tears away and it just showed in the way she spoke now.
"But tell me Jack, is telling the truth a bad thing?", she asked as she now moved to the kitchen to get her something to munch. Sobbing always made her feel hungry. It was no surprise then that she'd put on a few pounds in the past month.
"No, honey! How can it be? It's just the way people perceive the truth. Some just suck it up when others seem to throw up!"
"Well, a month or so with you and I might just get back to shape, Jack! I was just gonna get me something to munch and now I've lost all my appetite!"
"Awww, I'm sorry. Just a figure of speech!"
"Heh heh"
"I'll talk to you later Emma! I've got a friend waiting on the other line, ok?"
"Yes, Jack. I'll be waiting for your call. Apparently only three things can hog my thinking today!"
"Yeah, Right! Bbye M!"
"Bye Jack, Take Care"

No comments: