Thursday, April 12, 2007

When Jack Met Emma..!! (Or Angels Don't Lie)

"And she would be?"
"Oh! Am terribly sorry. Jack, meet Emma! Em, this is Jack!"
"Hey Emma!"
"Please, call me Em! My friends call me that, and something tells me you're going to be one."
Her smile was truly genuine. It had a sparkle to it that a solitaire would've been proud of. She was a true gem.
Fair, smart, apparently of the verbose sort and definitely weird in a wonderfully unique way!
"So, Em. You're a..?"
"An Architect. I've been one for what, three years now?"
Her voice had that peculiar feel to it. It felt familiar. A familiar voice is the best voice there is!
"Oooh!! An architect, eh?" Suddenly a little depressed after having let the feeling sink. "You know, I always wanted to be a Pilot. Architect would've been my second choice. Instead I'm stuck doing *this*!"
"And what is this *this*?"
"Oh, let's not even talk about it!", he said shrugging it off like a really bad dream.
"Emma?"
"Yes, Jack?"
"Why does life treat us with such indifference?"
He was reminded of all his prayers that weren't answered.
"Our prayers are not all answered Jack, so we're glad when they *are*!"
Contemplating now, for he feared his emotions were totally obvious to all.
"No, no, Jack! They're not. Relax"
Totally freaked out now, but choosing to ignore - "But Em! Wouldn't we be a lot happier if all are prayers were answered?"
"It's not that simple, Jack. Sometimes your prayers, although unknowingly, can be detrimental to someone else's prayers. Although that doesn't make you a bad person, it kinda puts The Almighty in a fix."
"So, that's what its all about? A toss of the coin?? You mean my prayers are answered if i call a head a head?? You know how ridiculous that sounds?"
"Relax, Jack! Take it easy." She smiled. There was nothing he wouldn't do for her, now!
"I didn't mean to be all excited, Em. I'm sorry."
"No, no. Don't be apologetic. Thats what humans are here for. They make mistakes and they ought to be forgotten. Its something as natural as animals wanting to eat, or vegetables rotting eventually! So its okay."
"But still, am sorry!" He really meant it this time. And she knew, he did.
"I was saying its not the right call that decides if your prayers are answered. Its just the right intentions."
"But, I've never had bad intentions! Really I mean it!"
"Yes, I know darling. I do!" Her smile assured him, she knew.
"Who are you?" Jack couldn't help himself from asking.
"I thought we'd been introduced a while back", she retorted.
"Not in totality, I think"
"Hehehe. Very funny"
"But you know what I wanted to say, right?"
"Not really!" He still wasn't sure why all his prayers were not being answered.
"You see, if all your prayers were to be answered, you *think* you'd be happy. But would you really be?"
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"You know, its human tendency to always want things he doesn't have."
"You want a decent school, decent college. You want a good workplace when you work, you expect a charming life-partner when you're looking for one. Cutest kids and smart ones too! You name it, you want it."
"But whats your point?"
"The point is - after a while, the charm's all gone. Your friend is just a friend, your job is just another job, your wife is a pain in the ass most of the times, your kids get on your nerves too often for your liking!"
He became visibly sad. He knew she was making some sense.
"So, no matter how good a life you have - you invariably spoil it yourself by wanting more! Other people's wives are always more attractive, their kids are more well-behaved, their job offers more satisfaction and all that jazz."
"So you're trying to say, I shouldn't be expecting happiness?"
"No, Jack. You don't see the point, do you? The trick is to be happy with what you have!"
"But that is absurd! How I can just learn to be happy with what I have? Its like accepting what I'm being given, no matter how petty it is. And surely, the world would just stagnate if that were the case."
"Thats the trick, boy! The lesser you expect, the more you're given. The more you expect, the more you're given."
"Eh? And how is it different then?"
"Because you don't expect much, you're given a lot. Meaning - you think you're being given a *lot*, cause you never expect it in the first place! And because you expect more out of life, your prayers *are* answered."
"So, I win regardless of whether its a 'head' or a 'tail'?"
"Not, really Jack. Not really!! You see, when your expectations are high, no matter what you're given - you feel its meager and thats why you're not satisfied."
"Ahaan!"
"You know how it is? Your wife and other women!"
"I'm not married, Em!"
"Oh, I know. I Know Everything, Jack. Everything About You!"
He tried not to look in her eyes for he didn't want to see that truthfulness in her eyes. He *knew* she knew everything about him. How?
"It's getting late, Jack. I've to go someplace else too. And don't worry. All your secrets are safe with me, I Promise!"
"But..."
"No, Jack. Can't tell you who I am. But I can give you my number so you can call me whenever you feel like it"
"Oh, please do!"
He stood patiently, wondering if she'd been the victim of the foot-in-one's-mouth-syndrome!
"All you have to do, is call, Jack! Just Call Me!"
He stood there, speechless, not knowing what to say for he'd never seen an Angel before. She went away.

No comments: