Saturday, December 18, 2004

Procrastinate Later !

Ever since i was young, one thing thats been with me all through-out my life (much like my shadow - only more faithful for it has been with me even at times when my shadow would let me survive in this world alone!). That thing is ofcourse my laziness and the indegenous habit of procrastinating things for later. So much so that my friends and family got into a soup because of this 'heavenly' habit of mine. I can distinctly remember when i was young and i used to get assignments for my vacation and all through the vacation i kept telling me, "Relax, your vacation has just begun." And on the evening before the school re-opened, "Oh God! I had assignments to do!!" The saying with my family was - "A Family That Stays Together Does The Assignment Together" This carried till the time i was in my third standard (My family helping me out i.e., not the delay - how i wish it was!).
About six years ago on my birthday, a friend of mine gifted me a book. One of the many quotes in it was the 'truth'.... "Today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday" I recall it was in the evening of that very day (16th Dec.) when i was going through that very book that i had made up my mind and the word 'procrastination', 'delay', 'put-off' and the like would be not only deleted but shift+deleted (so i have no second thoughts of restoring the items from my recycle bin). I really felt like i was going somewhere from there. With the other quotes in the book that were very much written and printed so as to bring out the 'winner' in everyone who read it -- i thought that was the end of the days of mediocrity! No longer will i be one of the guys who'd just end up scrapping through to the top 10 in my class. I saw in me the future topper of my class (and he did look pretty since it was the man (boy rather) in the mirror). After having had such awe-inspiring thoughts all of the evening, there was nothing it seemed that could stop me. "Watch out everyone, Here I come!!" Oops too late, for now i was feeling sleepy! But what about the home-work? Turned out - the never procrastinate was procrastinate for later in practice. Oh! Was up nearly till mid-night doing what i ought to have done by the evening itself! It was then that it dawned upon me - Procrastination was not just a file that i could delete from my computer, it was the memory resident virus that had infected me since i was a child. I'm only glad this virus hasnt showed up for a long time now!! Else?? I guess this blog would have been up on blogger a good month or so into 2005! [Ah! no difference it would have made - still would have been a pain in the ***, isnt it?]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm the first one to the post the comment..Its me Arpita btw...props big time!!!!